Feedjack: A Django-powered feed aggregator
Gustavo Picón has open-sourced Feedjack, A Django+Python-powered feed aggregator. It's software you can use to make "planet" sites.
It's currently powering these sites:
- Planet Gnome
- Planet Debian
- Planet Django
- Planet Python
- Planet Mozilla
- Planet Ubuntu
- Planet KDE
- Planet Fedora
- Planet Debian Perú
According to Gustavo's announcement, it has many advantages over Planet. Says Gustavo:
- It handles historical data; you can read old posts.
- It parses a lot more info, including post categories.
- It generates pages/feeds with posts of a certain category (example).
- It generates pages/feeds with posts from a certain subscriber (example).
- It generates pages/feeds with posts of a certain category from a certain subcriber (example).
- A cloud tag/folksonomy (hype 2.0 compliant) for every page and every subscriber.
- It uses Django templates.
- The administration is done via web (using Django’s kickass autogenerated and magical admin site), and can handle multiple planets.
- Extensive use of Django’s internal cache engine. Most of the time you will have no database hits when serving pages.
Good stuff!Back to Top