Week in review
Here are the highlights of Django improvements this week, in chronological order.
- Revision 1480 -- Added a how to contribute to Django document.
- Revision 1484 -- Added 'django-admin.py inspectdb' support for SQLite. Thanks, Swaroop.
- Revision 1489 -- Many-to-many raw_id_admin change page now displays original object(s) correctly. Thanks for reporting, mordaha.
- Revisions 1495 and 1500 -- Added an Apache authentication handler, so you can tell Apache's authentication machinery to use a Django users database. See the new docs.
- Revision 1504 -- Changed behavior of QueryDict.items() to be more consistent, fixed mutability holes, gave MultiValueDict many more dictionary methods and added unit tests. Thanks, Kieran Holland. This is slightly backwards-incompatible if you happened to rely on the behavior of QueryDict.items(), which is highly unlikely.
- Revision 1508 -- Added "OR" support to the database API. See the weblog entry.
- Revision 1510 -- Added an "allow_empty" hook to the archive_index date-based generic view.
- Revision 1511 -- Manually-set AutoField values are now respected. Thanks, cygnus.
- Revision 1513 -- Improved the model validator to throw an error if a model has two ManyToMany relationships to the same model and doesn't set 'singular'.
- Revision 1516 -- Fixed a bug in the generated DB API for models that have two ManyToManyFields to the same related model.
- Revision 1517 -- 'django-admin.py sqlsequencereset' now includes the many-to-many join tables. Thanks for reporting, exoweb adrian.
- Revision 1518 -- "django-admin.py inspectdb" for SQLite now introspects field types. Previously, it used TextField for everything.
- Revision 1519 -- FileFields now work in the create_update generic view. Thanks, limodou.
- Revision 1520 -- Added a helpful error message if there's a problem in running the Django unit tests. Thanks, paolo.
- Revision 1521 -- The admin 'change password' and 'log out' links no longer assume the admin lives at '/admin/'. Thanks, deric at monowerks.
- Revision 1522 -- The admin bookmarklets no longer assume admin is rooted at '/'.
- Revision 1526 -- Made 'django-admin.py --help' output easier to read. Thanks, Oliver.
- Revision 1547 -- Added "__ne__()" support for Django models, which apparently wasn't working on Python 2.3 (?). Thanks, GomoX.
In other Django news:
- The Snakes and Rubies conference was cool. Read our writeup.
- Greenpeace, in association with ThoughtWorks, announced Melt, a climate-change advocacy Web site they're developing using Django. Follow the progress at the Custard Melt weblog, see the code and get involved!
- Ben at badpopcorn.com had some nice things to say about Django.
- Tabo wrote a classic: "The more I use it, the more I know it is the right choice for my web development needs."
Posted by Adrian Holovaty on December 4, 2005